Stock and Option Trade Ideas
Regular readers of My Trader’s Journal know I focus on selling naked puts and even covered calls when needed. This is where my option selling ideas start. As I read various articles from magazines, other blogs, newspapers and traditional Web sites I write down the tickers to make sure I go back to research them later. I probably trade on less than 5% of the stocks I start researching. This page will let you see some of my notes while it gives me a place to store my notes in a somewhat more organized fashion. Right now I use a collection of torn out pages from print articles, Post-It notes and scraps of paper such as used envelopes that pile up on my desk at work and home. This will give me one place to stay organized a little better, especially for those days/weeks when I can’t find something I want to trade on, I’ll be able to return to this page and give some old ideas a second chance.
Here’s my list as I start, details will fill in as time passes:
- AA – Alcoa is Aluminum heavy and Aluminum is priced in dollars, Strong dollar equals lower aluminum price and lower AA price. Weaker economy kills AA.
- AAPL – It’s Apple, good in strong economic times, drops quickly otherswise
- ACOR – Pharma play on Multiple Sclerosis + makes Zanaflex
- AMAT – Previous trade
- AMSC – Smart Money Magazine, March 08, environmently friendly products and services
- CHE – Jim Cramer/Mad Money
- DD – Previous trade
- DE – Barron’s, touted for strong dividends
- DWA – Previous trade.
- FCX – Moves with price of copper. Strong dollar equals lower copper price and lower FXC price. Weaker economy kills FCX.
- FWLT – Makes big moves up or down in line with the economy. Weaker economy kills FWLT.
- GLW – Barron’s, good earnings, but the stock hasn’t moved much
- IKBR – Simple Trading System blog, quoting Forbes article
- ONXX – Barron’s 6/23/08 – risky pharma play
- PBR – Barron’s, from social stock picker sites summary
- PGC – Jim Cramer/Mad Money
- PHG – Smart Money Magazine, March 08, environmently friendly products and services
- SLB – Oil play
- SPWR – Smart Money Magazine, March 08, environmently friendly products and services – great premiums which go with the high risk.
- TDW – Barron’s, touted for strong dividends – Moves up when oil prices rise
- VE – Smart Money Magazine, March 08, environmently friendly products and services
- VLO – Oil play, not always up when oil is up due to refining costs
- ZOLT – Smart Money Magazine, March 08, environmently friendly products and services – great premiums which go with the high risk.
- DBA – PowerShares DB Agriculture
- DBC -PowerShares DB Commodity Idx Trking Fund
- DDM – PowerShares twice the Dow Jones Industrial Average
- EEM – iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Index Fund
- IWM – iShares Russell 2000 Index
- LQD – iShares iBoxx Invest Grade Corp Bond
- MVV – PowerShares twice the S&P MidCap 400 index
- QQQQ – PowerShares QQQ (think NASDAQ)
- RSP – Equal Weight S&P 500 ETF
- SDS – UltraShort S&P 500 ProShares
- SPY – SPDR S&P 500 ETF
- SSO – Corresponds to twice the daily performance of the S&P 500 index
- TMW – SPDR Wishire Total Market
- USO – Oil ETF
- UWM – PowerShares twice Russell 2000
- VPL – Vanguard Pacific Stock ETF
- XLB – Materials Select Sector SPDR
- XLF – Financial Select Sector SPDR
- List of Direxion’s 3x index ETFs – Only worth day trading. Long term they lose
- $VIX.X– CBOE Market Volatility Index
- $VXN.X – CBOE NASDAQ Market Volatility Index
- $VIO.X – CBOE Oil Reduc Val Index – Not optionable yet, but expected to be eventually, so this is a placeholder
I’m keeping the comments section turned off since this is a single page versus a new post I’ll be writing. As trade ideas change, comments would become outdated. Please comment on the most recent post if you have something to add for all to see or you can always email me – alex AT mytradersjournal DOT com.