Sold IWM March Put Spread

I mentioned in a post at the end of last week that I planned to get back into IWM today.  I almost decided not to since the small-cap ETF continued to climb and appeared ready to correct.  Then I opted to change my approach and allow room for a correction or a continued small rally.  To do that, I had to sell put spreads in the money.  While IWM was trading at $92.17, I sold three IWM March $94 puts for $2.27 each and bought three IWM March $91 puts for $.87 each.  I received $415.38 after paying $4.62 in commission.

This helps build on my small allocation for contracts expiring in March.  The only other positions I have for March expiration are a DIA put spread that’s still in the money and a SPY naked put that’s out of the money by 2%.  I still have a lot more cash on the sideline that has to be put to work and the more I look at my choices, the more I think I will need to use put spreads in the near-term.

I thought about selling naked puts on this before switching plans, but the downside risk was bigger than this trade’s risk and the upside potential was smaller.  Once I realized that, the decision was easy.  I don’t want to make the same mistake I’ve done in the past and lose money on naked puts when I should’ve hedged or stayed in cash.   The only negative is that I need IWM to gain some more ground before I take a full profit versus having a little buffer with the naked put.  I don’t think IWM will be within 2% of today’s price by the middle of March, so this should serve me better in either direction.

I also chose March for this put spread to expire because it was priced within a penny or two of the April contracts, but had less than half the time value.  That means my annualized return is better with the shorter duration contracts.  In addition, I know we’re going to get a correction eventually.  However, I don’t know if it is a day away, four weeks away or three months away.  I increase my probability of a profit by running this trade on a shorter time horizon in this case due to the extended duration of this run without a step backward.  In other words, every additional week the market moves higher without a step backward increases the probability of a correction coming sooner and likely with a decline that’s bigger.

IWM Risk/Reward Breakdown:

  • Potential profit: $462.62
  • Money at risk: $484.62
  • Potential put spread return: 85.71%, 95.2% per month
  • Upside potential based on cash reserves: 1.49%%, Annualized: 19.93%
  • Downside cushion: no cushion, need a gain of 0.48% to break even at $92.62
  • Downside risk based on value of underlying if assigned: 1.74%
  • Timing remaining before expiration: 3.9 weeks
  • Position close goal/limit: I’m aiming for full profit.  I’ll let it play out until the final week before the contracts expire.  I’ll probably take the assignment and sell my long puts for a profit if I think the downside is limited from there.  If small caps look vulnerable to further weakness, I’ll close the full position within the final couple of days of the contract.

« « DJIA – Year to Date Chart - | - S&P 500 Chart – Borrowed Time » »

* If you like this post, then consider subscribing to the Full RSS feed or email updates.

DISCLAIMER: While I am a Registered Investment Advisor Representative, the information contained within this site does not constitue personalized investment advice. This material is meant as entertainment and is only a view into how I invest my own account, but not necessarily how you should invest your own funds. Trade using your own research at your own risk. This is impersonal investment advice which means the material written here, in email exchanges, on Twitter and/or other social networking sites do not purport to meet the objectives or needs of specific individuals or accounts.

Other Popular Articles:

- How to Read an Options Table

- Determining an Exit Price for a Stock

- Understanding Downside Risks in Investing

- How Naked Put Selling Works

- 10 Tips for Keeping Emotions out of Investing

1 Comment

  1. Comment by Emini Trader

    I agree with further Russell weakness, I have a target for Russell futures around 990-885 for next week.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.